ABOUT THUNDERHANDS



About Me: "Wakiya" (Thunder)
I am a Tribal, Musician, Writer, Artist. I try to walk the path and have studied the tradition of the "Wisdom keepers" like Lame Deer, Fools Crow, Black Elk, and Rolling Thunder from the tribes of this region, and Lao Tzu, Buddha, Bodhidharma, Yeshua, and other enlightened ones from the many various tribes of the earth. I understand the worlds religions and belief systems, and realize the division this can cause by the lack of understanding the "real message" from the Masters. My intention, and life's prayer is to try to live in harmony with Grandmother Earth, Grandfather sky, (Nature) and "the spirit that moves in all things," and help in any way I can to build a bridge between all men and tribes so they can walk their path in a manner that will benefit themselves, the Earth and others. I open up, and ask Great Spirit, The creator, The Tao, The Universe, to work and direct healing and positive energy through me by different means, like the Flute, drums, Words, Prayer, and Touch. I try to be loving and accept others from the heart, and practice forgiveness. I honor all people, the winged one's, and four legged ones considering us all equal, not one being above another. I honor the bountiful Harvest from Mother earth in the form of plant life, water, air and herbs which sustain our oneness with her. I pray all tribes should re-unite as one, so we may protect the planet and live in harmony. Within you, without you.

Mitakuye Oyasin
( all my relations)
Wakiya

Monday

Apaches: The supreme warrior, guerrilla fighter, and survivalist.




The Apache was one of the most interesting tribes in my opinion. I highly respect them for many reasons. The Apache was one who certainly lived in harmony with their environment. The desert region they lived in was harsh and unforgiving, particularly regions in the "arid zone" or Arizona. The heat was stifling, and the resources slim. Yet they managed to live in perfect harmony with it. Their stealth and warrior ship was unparalleled, as were their stalking and hunting abilities.

Just a side note: I have first hand knowledge of that geographic location having lived there the first sixteen years of my life. I remember days in the summer when the temperatures soared to 110-115 degrees or higher. The nights could get very cold dropping to the extreme. Yet as a boy I walked for miles in bare feet, and trekked and climbed mountains around the surrounding area. This could be one reason I identify with them. When you are raised in a certain location you adapt quickly as a child.

Again most Apaches could do unbelievable things, such as run for miles in extreme heat, sometimes 25 to 50 miles. They could blend so well with the land that they could hide in broad daylight in a sparsely covered desert and not be seen. They could find water and food and often stored it for later. There is a story that goes as follows.

One day a general in the U.S. army asked one of his Indian (Apache) scouts why they couldn't find the band of renegade Apaches they were tracking. The scout answered "because we can hide (Disappear) and not be found, and I can prove it to you." "How so" the general replied. "If you turn your back for a few seconds I will hide and you will not find me." The general complied, for he was curious. When he turned back around the scout was no where to be seen. The land was barren except for a tiny scrub brush. He searched the brush and the entire area and was astonished that he was unable to find the scout. In frustration he called out for the scout. Only a few feet away the scout arouse from under the sand, where he had left no marks when he hid away.

This is one reason that the Apache was such an excellent guerrilla fighter. He could spring up out of nowhere, and attack ruthlessly. Most Apaches were crack shots with the repeating rifle or any gun for that matter. They also had an uncanny spiritual connection with what they called the spirits of the land. In the mountains Geronimo hid for many months with a small band, while 5000 soldiers combed the area. They never found him. They say he had spiritual powers and in fact was never harmed by bullets fired at him or in any skirmishes which were many. He finally surrendered because of the mistreatment of his friends and family.

The Apache scout was the best tracker in the world, just ask Tom Brown Jr. Tom Brown who is the worlds foremost tracker and survivalist was trained as a boy by an Apache Indian Named "Stalking wolf" who was in his 80's at the time. Tom was taught to survive in the wilderness with nothing. He could be dropped off in a barren wilderness with no clothes and later come back fully clothed, armed, and well fed. He made all of his clothes, knives, bow, and arrows, out of his surroundings. This is proof of the knowledge that the Apache Stalking wolf passed on to him.

The Apache clothing was minimal (see photos) and consisted of nothing more then knee high moccasins a breach cloth, shirt and bandanna to hold back their long hair. They also wore colorful coats, shirts, beads, and jewelry. They also didn't have a lot of time for religious practice because most of their time was taken up by survival. Their connection to the spirits were strong though. Their deity was called Usen, but they usually called on the spirits of the land when needing help.

The Apache women were tough also, and were some of the best warriors. One well known woman had the ability to feel on the skin on her arms how many enemy were in the area and what their location was. She was also credited with crawling into a Comanche chief's encampment and ripping out his throat with her teeth. She then stole all of his clothes and weapons and brought them back as an offering to her tribe.

Obviously the Apache was feared and respected by the U.S. Government. Their fear overcame their respect, and since the Apache was one of the last hold out tribes every effort was made to either exterminate or imprison them. Geronimo himself and all the scouts who worked for the army were shipped off to Florida and imprisoned there. Geronimo never saw his beloved desert home again, and died in an Alabama, reservation under heavy guard in his eighties.

-Thunderhands

3 comments:

bloggergirl said...

Excellent information and research Thunder. I guess my Apache lineage gives me hope that I can run at least 5 miles in extreme heat!! I WISH!!! That is incredible stamina ...25 to 50 miles... I can not even fathom!

DebbiEnjoys said...

Thunderhands, your writing about Apaches is Impressive! I cannot even imagine the physical abilities & creativity required to thrive in Arizona for centuries. To be so aware of the land that one IS the land tells why... little as I know... indigenous peoples across the globe are most fascinating to me.

Lord T6 said...

great post. I'm part Apache myself. I wish i knew more information on my great great grandparents...

I've always felt like a fighter and survivalist myself deep inside. I can't explain it.

i'm glad i came across this